Alastair initially trained as an illustrator through which he developed his interest in figurative and portrait painting. In the years since he has established a strong reputation as a commissioned portrait artist, his dynamic but natural and unassuming portraits earning him many high profile commissions, both in the UK and overseas. Alastair became a member of the RP in 2002 and Hon Treasurer 2005. In 2008 was made President, the youngest in the Society’s history.
In 2011 Alastair was commissioned to paint Tony Blair for the National Portrait Gallery as part of their permanent collection of past British Prime Ministers.
Through his academic work Alastair aims to promote a higher level of debate around the use and understanding and of portraiture, produced as part of an incisive, observationally centred, drawing and painting language. To these ends Alastair holds a research based lecturing position at Loughborough University and has published papers on commissioned portraiture and contemporary life drawing within a modern educational context. He is also Chair of the University’s Drawing Research Group ‘TRACEY’.
20 x 16 inches From £2,250
24 x 20 inches From £3,000
This is a rough fee-guide for a single portrait. Frame, travel & accommodation expenses, and VAT are not included. For groups and non-standard sizes please ask for a quote.
METHOD OF WORKING
I like about 4-6 sittings and can use photographs if absolutely necessary to reduce their number. I am happy to travel to my sitters and to paint groups. I am not currently registered for VAT.
- National Portrait Gallery: Tony Blair
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies: Prof. T. Daintith
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies: Prof. Barry Rider
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies: Lord Hope, Lord Nolan, Lord Scarman, Lord Woolf and Sir William Dale.
- Joint Services Defence College: Rear Admiral Nick Wilkinson
- King Williams College, IOM: Mr Dursley Stott, OBESt.
- Hugh’s College, Oxford: Principal Derek Wood, CBE
- Liverpool University: Vice Chancellor Philip Love, CBE
- Liverpool Hope University: Chief Executive Simon Lee
- Manchester Metropolitan University: Vice Chancellor, Dame Sandra Burslem
- Nottingham University: Vice Chancellor Sir Colin Campbell
- University of Wales College of Medicine: Vice Chancellor Steve Tomlinson
- Shrewsbury School: Headmaster Ted Maidment
- Westwood High School: Headteacher George Wiskin
- Lord Woolf
- Family Capt. Robert Guy
- Capt. Bruce Snelling
- The Green Howards: Capt. John Powell
- General Dental Council: President Hew Matthewson
- Fritz and Ingrid Spiegl
- Tom and Dominie Newton Dunn
- John Timpson
- St John’s College, Cambridge: President Mark Nichols
- St John’s College, Cambridge: Professor Stefan Reif
- Legal and General: Sir Rob Margetts
- Southampton University: Sir William Wakeham
- Metropolitan Police: Sir Ian Blair
- Body of Art, Manifest Creative Research Gallery and Drawing Centre, Cincinatti, Ohio.
- Royal Society of Portrait Painters, Mall Galleries, London
- National Portrait Gallery, London
- Art London, Duke of Yorks Barracks, London
- “Portraits and Life”, Solo Exhibition, Liverpool University
- Manchester Academy Annual Open Exhibition
- Discerning Eye Exhibition, Mall Galleries
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Mall Galleries
The Changing Faces Prize, Royal Society of Portrait Painters.