We seek new and traditional artistic models and perspectives in portraiture
Entries for our 2019 exhibition are now closed. Why not sign up to our newsletter so we can keep you informed about the 2020 show?
Artists are invited to submit portraits for exhibition alongside members of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters at their 2019 Annual Exhibition in London.
Take this opportunity to enter your portrait for an important international exhibition where you could enjoy:
Prizes & Awards (subject to final confirmation)
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
The RP Award: The Royal Society of Portrait Painters is delighted to offer a £2,000 prize for portraiture, The RP Award. All works shown in the Annual Exhibition will be eligible. The award will be made to the artist whose work best represents the year’s chosen theme – which for 2019 is ‘Skin’. The judges will be looking for the most interesting and engaging interpretation of the idea of ‘Skin’ within the parameters of portraiture. The Society looks forward to receiving new and surprising explorations on the theme.
The Ondaatje Prize for Portraiture: £10,000 plus the Society’s Gold Medal awarded for the most distinguished portrait in the Society’s annual exhibition
The de Laszlo Foundation Award: £3,000 plus a Silver Medal for the most outstanding portrait by an artist aged 35 years or under
The Prince of Wales’s Award for Portrait Drawing: £2,000 and framed certificate for a portrait in any recognised drawing medium
The Burke’s Peerage Foundation Award: £2,000 and framed certificate for the most classically inspired portrait in the exhibition
The Contemporary Arts Trust Award: £1,000 to the most deserving artist in the exhibition
The Smallwood Architects Prize: £1,000 for a portrait in which architectural or interior features play an important part
How to Submit
ALL work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected entries should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
– Upload images of work at https://mallgalleries.oess1.uk between Monday 15 October 2018 and Friday 18 January 2019, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
– Check https://mallgalleries.oess1.uk on Friday 25 January, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been pre-selected
– If pre-selected, deliver your work on Saturday 23 February, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
– Check mallgalleries.org.uk on Tuesday 26 February, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been accepted to the exhibition
– If unaccepted, collect your work from Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD on Thursday 28 February, 10am to 5pm
Submission opens: Monday 15 October 2018, 12 noon
Submission closes: Friday 18 January 2019, 12 noon
Pre-selection notification: Friday 25 January, 12 noon [Log in to see if your work has been pre-selected]
Receiving Day (if pre-selected only): Saturday 23 February, 10am to 5pm
Acceptance notification: Tuesday 26 February, 12 noon
Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 28 February, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition open: Thursday 9 May, 10am to 5pm*
*late night opening, until 7pm, on Tuesdays (14 & 21 May)
Exhibition closes: Friday 24 May, 5pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 30 May, 10am to 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Any medium including original prints but excluding sculpture and photography.
- Submission fee: £18 per work (or £12 per work for artists aged 35 or under), which includes Free Admission to the exhibition (normally £4).
- Work must have been completed in the last three years and not been exhibited in London previously.
- Minimum sale price: £300 (Although works may be ‘NFS’, not for sale – if your work is not for sale, please input the price as ‘0’ when prompted).
- Maximum of three works submitted.
- Maximum of three works selected.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
Terms & Conditions
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
Delivery & Collection
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
- The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the Society and rotates annually.
- Please note that selectors’ decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- Artists from outside the UK may need to register for VAT, please check with HM Revenue and Customs: https://www.gov.uk
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post – Tel: 0044 (0)1302 711011 / Mobile: 07833 450788 / Email: email@example.com