Artists are invited to submit work for exhibition alongside members of Royal Society of Portrait Painters at the Annual Exhibition 2022.
Selection Notification Find our whether your work has been accepted
About the Exhibition
Selected artists will have their work exhibited in a prestigious showcase at The Mall Galleries in Central London at which a number of works will sell and a number of commissions will be placed (see full list of Prizes & Awards below).
The Society welcomes paintings, drawings and original prints including digital/ipad prints from artists over 18, from the UK and internationally to be shown alongside members of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters at their Annual Exhibition.
HOW TO SUBMIT
All work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected works should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of work at www.mallgalleries.oess1.uk between Wednesday 8 December 2021 and Friday 11 February 2022, 12 noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check www.mallgalleries.oess1.uk from 12 noon on Friday 25 February to see if your work has been pre-selected
- If pre-selected, deliver your work for final selection on Saturday 19 March 2022, 10am to 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
- Check this page from 12 noon on Tuesday 22 March to see if your work has been selected
- If unaccepted, collect your work on Thursday 24 March, 10am to 5pm
- Submission opens: Wednesday 8 December 2021
- Submission closes: Friday 11 February 2022, 12 noon
- Pre-selection notification: Friday 25 February 2022, 12 noon
- Receiving Day (if pre-selected): Saturday 19 March 2022, 10am to 5pm
- Notification of final selection: Tuesday 22 March 2022, 12 noon
- Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 24 March 2022, 10am to 5pm
- Exhibition opens: Thursday 5 May 2022, 10am to 5pm
- Exhibition closes: Saturday 14 May 2022, 5pm
- Collection of unsold work: Thursday 19 May 2022, 10am to 5pm
ELIGIBILITY: Entry to the Royal Society of Portrait Painters are subject to the following:
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- All mediums aside from sculpture and photography are acceptable.
- Work must have been completed in the last three years and not been exhibited in London previously.
- Works must have a minimum sale price of £300. Works may be listed as not for sale – if your work is not for sale, please input the price as ‘NFS’ when prompted.
- The price of works for sale must include 45% + VAT commission.
- A maximum of 3 works can be submitted for selection. It is possible for all 3 entries to be selected.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- Note that artists accepted for exhibition will be invited to advertise portrait commissions through our Commissions department on which a commission will be payable.
The submission fee is £20 per work for standard entries and £14 per work for artists aged 35 or under. This includes free admission to the exhibition (normally £5).
The exhibition is selected by a committee of elected members of the society – all leading and currently practising portrait painters.
Please note that selectors’ decisions are final and we are unable to offer feedback.
- All International submissions will be ONLINE ONLY, that artists will need to ship their work if selected for the exhibition.
- If you are not a UK resident and your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs at www.hmrc.gov.uk (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1)
TERMS & CONDITIONS
For full terms and conditions, please click here.
- The William Lock Portrait Prize: £20,000 for the most timeless portrait with a real feeling for paint and its aesthetic potential
- The Ondaatje Prize for Portraiture: £10,000 plus the Society’s Gold Medal awarded for the most distinguished portrait in the Society’s annual exhibition
- The RP Award: £2,000 will be awarded to the artist whose work best represents the year’s chosen theme – which for 2022 is ‘Self-Portrait’.
- The RP Prize for the Best Small Portrait: A prize of £2,000 for the best small portrait in the exhibition, measuring not more than 38 x 30.5 cm (15 x 12 inches) unframed
- The de Laszlo Foundation Award: £3,000 plus a Silver Medal for the most outstanding portrait by an artist aged 35 years or under
- The Prince of Wales’s Award for Portrait Drawing: £2,000 and framed certificate for a portrait in any recognised drawing medium
- The Burke’s Peerage Foundation Award for Classically Inspired Portraiture: The Burke’s Peerage Foundation Award, established by its founders William Bortrick and Mark Ayre in 2015, is presented for Classically Inspired Portraiture in the RP Annual Exhibition. It is presented each year with a certificate and a prize of £2,000.
DELIVERY & COLLECTION
Artworks selected for exhibition for the delivery to the Federation of British Artists, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1 must adhere to the following:
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- We are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee
The exhibition will on view from Thursday 5 May to Saturday 14 May 2022 at the Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1Y 5BD.
To stay in touch and hear the latest news please subscribe to our newsletter