From a very early age Andrew James shared a passion for art with his twin brother Paul. In 1987 he decided to pursue painting full time and at the age of 17 he undertook a 10 year project to develop his work through self-directed study.
Winning the Carroll Foundation Award in 1998 helped bring his work to a much wider audience and with election to the RP four years later Andy was able to establish himself fully as a portrait painter. Further exposure came from a successful appearance in BBC 1’s Star Portraits with Rolf Harris.
Andy was elected Vice–President of the RP in 2008.
ANDREW JAMES PRICE GUIDE
20 x 16 inches £5,000
24 x 20 inches £6,000
30 x 25 inches £7,000
36 x 28 inches £8,000
40 x 30 inches £10,000
50 x 40 inches £12,000
60 x 40 inches £15,000
from 10 x 12 inches from £1,500
This is a rough fee-guide for a single portrait. Frame, travel & accommodation expenses, and VAT are not included. For groups and non-standard sizes please ask for a quote.
METHOD OF WORKING
I work on about three sittings for which I am happy to travel. I don’t really like painting groups but can paint a posthumous portrait if necessary. I draw in any medium.
As a self taught artist I have sought to develop a particular use of oil paint as a starting point to much of my work. While drawing on a disparate range of artistic influences I have tried to achieve a particular synthesis of material and subject. These qualities could be summed up as forceful richness of illusion and surface as well as psychological depth.
I work from photographs, life and imagination: All are equal as the work’s outcome is all that matters. I add and subtract continuously until a satisfactory balance is achieved in my painting.
I am not currently registered for VAT.
- General Yakubo Gowon
- Sir Wally Herbert
- Charles Moore
- David Dickinson
- Tom Haywood
- 2013, Contemptible Subjects and Other Things of Interest, Menier Gallery, London
2006 Ashton Reloaded, Tunbridge Wells Museum and Art Gallery, Kent
- 2003 Mall Galleries, London
- 2003 Trinity Arts Centre, Tunbridge Wells, Kent
- 2002 Nick Whistler Fine Art, Battle, East Sussex
- 2001 Intrinsic Values – Joint Exhibition with Paul James, Ramsgate Library Gallery, Kent
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- 2013/15 Ruth Borchard Portrait Prize, Kings Place, London
- 2011 Pure Gold. 50 Years of the FBA, Mall Galleries, London
- 2010 400 Women , Shoreditch Town Hall, London
- 2006 to present New English Art Club, Mall Galleries, London
- 2005 Royal Society of British Artists, Mall Galleries, London
- 2005 Star Portraits with Rolf Harris, County Hall, London
- 2004 New Art Gallery, Walsall, Star Portraits
- 2002-2007 Nick Whistler Fine Art, Battle, East Sussex
- 2002 to present Royal Society of Portrait Painters, Mall Galleries London
- 1998/02 New English Art Club, Mall Galleries, London
- 1998 RP/BP Award, National Portrait Gallery, London
- 1997 Waterman Fine Art, Jermyn Street, London
- 2017 Elected Member New English Art Club
- 2013 Changing Faces Award awarded by the Royal Society of Portrait Painters
- 2012 The Artist Award awarded by RSBA
- 2008 Elected Vice-President of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters
- 2004 Honorary Member of Hesketh Hubbard Art Society
- 2002 Elected a Member or the Royal Society of Portrait Painters
- 1998 Carroll Foundation Award for Portrait Painting awarded by the Royal Society of Portrait Painters