Bruce believes that his facility to convey texture and fleeting expressions of the human face arises from his parallel pursuit of painting landscapes, still lifes and drawings, where the rapidly changing effects of light in nature are supremely critical.
As an artist Bruce strives to achieve a true likeness of his sitters – perhaps a third of whom have been women – simultaneously delineating the essence of their characters.
GEORGE BRUCE PRICE GUIDE
from 20 x 16 inches From £20,000
From 20 x 16 inches From £4,000
This is a rough fee-guide for a single portrait. Frame, travel & accommodation expenses, and VAT are not included. For groups and non-standard sizes please ask for a quote.
METHOD OF WORKING
I like from two to ten sittings and work from life rather than from photographs. I am currently registered for VAT.
- Lord Ramsey of CanterburyLord Lane, as Lord Chief Justice
- Lord Tonypandy, as Speaker of the House of Commons
- Lord Butler of Saffron Walden, of Trinity College, Cambridge and former Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Sir Campbell Adamson, as Chairman of the Abbey National Building Society and former Director-General of the Confederation of British Industry.
- 2008: Agora Gallery, New York City; Jun. 3-24, 2008
- 2002: London; Messum’s, 40 Duke Street, St. James’s, SW1Y 6DF; 19th June – 6th July, 2002
- 1999: London; David Messum Fine Art, 8 Cork Street, W1X 1PB; 16th June – 3rd July, 1999
- 1991: RSPP Centenary Exhibition, Coutts & Co, Strand, WC2; 6-29 Nov, 1991
- 1989: Smith’s Galleries, WC2; 3-5 May, 1989
- 1985: Charleston Manor, Uckfield, East Sussex
- 1982: Pelter/Sands Gallery, Bristol (West of England Restoration Studios); 3-24 Mar., 1982
- 1975: Lloyds Bank, 16 St. James Street, SW1; 28 Nov. – 19 Dec., 1975
- 1971: Lloyds Bank, Knightsbridge; 18 Nov. – 8 Dec., 1971
- 1970: Upper Grosvenor Galleries, W1, 24 Jun. -11 Jul., 1970
- 1959-1992: Royal Academy (RA) Summer Exhibition: (1959, 1961, 1962, 1964-1968, 1982, 1983, 1992)