Brendan Kelly was born in Edinburgh in 1970. Studied at Camberwell College of Art 88-89 (Foundation) and then at The Slade in London 89-93 (BA Hons Fine Art). He has won a number of National Art Awards, including various prizes in the BP Portrait Award and the de Lazlo Award for the best portrait by a young artist at the Royal Society of Portrait Painters.
Kelly spent time as a war artist in Afghanistan, producing as a result a large-scale group portrait of international NATO generals. Kelly was commissioned by the National Portrait Gallery to paint General Sir Mike Jackson in 2006. Prior to accepting the commission to paint Baroness Boothroyd, Kelly completed a full length state portrait of the current Speaker, John Bercow for the House of Commons Collection. He has just completed a further commission for the National Portrait Gallery of Baroness Boothroyd.
BRENDAN KELLY PRICE GUIDE
From £15000 for 40cmx40cm
This is a rough fee-guide for a single portrait. Frame, travel & accommodation expenses, and VAT are not included. For groups and non-standard sizes please ask for a quote.
METHOD OF WORKING
I can work in acrylic watercolour and collage as well as oil. I paint groups as well as individuals and can work to any size. I am happy to travel to sitters, even abroad. I do not work from other people’s photographs but take many of my own during the working process.
I am not currently registered for VAT.
- Kate Adie
- Sir Viv Richards
- General Sir Mike Jackson
- General Sir David Richards
- 1991 Hunting Observer Competition, Mall Galleries – Student Prize BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery
- 1992 BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery – Commended Prize Critic’s Choice – Brian Sewell, Cooling Gallery, London
- 1993 BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery – Commended Prize
- 1995 Royal Scottish Academy – MacFarlane Painting Prize Royal Society of Portrait Painters, Mall Galleries, London
- 1995/96 Treasures of the National Portrait Gallery, touring exhibition to Japan
- 1997/8 Solo Exhibition:Light & Colour, The Edinburgh Gallery Painting Abroad ( USA/France)
- 199 Scottish Paintings at the Air Gallery, London
- 2001 BP Portrait Awards ,N.P.G. 2nd Prize Two man exhibition, The Edinburgh Gallery
- 2003 Royal Soc. Portrait Painters, Mall Galleries London BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery, London
- 2004 The De Laszlo Prize for the best portrait by a young artist At the Royal Society of Portrait Artists. London ‘ Being Present ‘(8 figurative painters) The Jerwood Space, London
- 2005 Royal Society Portrait Painters, Mall Galleries London BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery, London Artist in Residence, the Art Academy, London
- 2006 Royal Society Portrait Painters – HSBC Prize for the best painting by a young artist
- Hunting Observer Young artist Award
- De Lazlo Award
- Bp Portrait Award