The Royal Society of Portrait Painters (RP) Call for Entries
Our annual exhibition has an open entry section. We welcome work in any medium from artists over the age of 18 anywhere in the world.
Our online entry will open in November, please sign up to our newsletter to receive the dates and other information when they are published.
Prizes & Awards
There are many prizes and awards available to win, including:
The Ondaatje Prize for Portraiture: £10,000 plus the Society’s Gold Medal awarded for the most distinguished painting in the Society’s annual exhibition
The de Laszlo Foundation Award: £3,000 plus a Silver Medal for the most outstanding portrait by an artist aged 35 years or under
The Prince of Wales’s Award for Portrait Drawing: £2,000 and framed certificate for a portrait in any recognised drawing medium
The Changing Faces Prize: £2,000 commission to produce a portrait of a person with a disfigurement for the Changing Faces collection
The Burke’s Peerage Foundation Award: £2,000 and framed certificate for the most classically inspired portrait in the exhibition
The Smallwood Architects Prize: £1,000 for a portrait in which architectural or interior features play an important part
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Any medium including original prints but excluding sculpture.
- Submission fee: £15 per work at the time of submitting (£10 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Work must have been completed in the last three years and not been exhibited in London previously.
- Minimum sale price: £300 (Although works can be ‘NFS’, not for sale).
- Maximum of three works submitted.
- Maximum of three works selected.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- Artists who are not resident in the UK but are resident in the EU are welcome to submit work. If your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account buy antibiotics for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs. Artists submitting work from outside the UK and EU must be registered BEFORE they submit online. Artists without a UK residence (known as ‘NETPs’ – non-established taxable persons) can find further details on ‘NETP’ status and how to register for VAT at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk, (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1, Mar 2014) under the heading ‘Should I be registered for VAT?’ Please note: the registration process can take up to 4 weeks. Please address any questions you may have to the VAT Helpline on tel. no. 0845 010 9000 or, if your call is from outside the UK, +44 2920501 261.
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post as they offer a packing and delivery service for our exhibitions (we do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post – Tel: 0044 (0)1302 711011 / Mobile: 07833 450788 / Email: email@example.com
- For full terms and conditions, click here.
How to submit
ALL work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected entries should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of work at registrationmallgalleries.org.uk [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 1MB]
- Check registrationmallgalleries.org.uk on to see if your work has been pre-selected
- If pre-selected, deliver your work to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
- Check mallgalleries.org.uk on to see if your work has been accepted to the exhibition
- If unaccepted, collect your work from Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD